A Sacramento trucking accident can happen at anytime. Whether you’re on I-80 when and on your way to an event at Arco Arena or catching a flight at Sacramento International Airport, the danger is real. A large truck can be over 60 feet long and weigh more than 80,000 pounds. On dry pavement, a truck of this size needs at least 20 percent more distance to come to a complete stop and if it’s raining, they might even travel 50 percent farther. If the truck jackknifes, it slides down the highway sweeping away anything in its path until it comes to rest. If it overturns, it’s likely to leave the roadway strewn with cargo, which presents an immediate danger to anybody else on the roadway.
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, 3,903 people were killed in accidents involving large trucks in 2014. An estimated 111,000 were injured. Of the fatalities, 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles, and 17 percent were the occupants of the large trucks.
A Sacramento trucking accident can usually be attributed to one or more common causes, such as:
- Driver distraction by using a cellular or navigational device.
- Driver fatigue from not scheduling sufficient rest time.
- Equipment failure, like poorly maintained tires and brakes.
- Failure to use due care and caution in adverse weather conditions.
- Improper loading resulting in an unbalanced load.
- Insufficient driver training or experience.
When a truck accident happens, it’s more than likely that it will result in severe injuries or fatalities. When victims are fortunate enough to survive a trucking accident, common injuries that we see include:
- Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Severe fractures.
- Organ damage.
- Spinal fractures with disc and nerve damage.
What to do if you have been in a Sacramento Trucking Accident
If you’ve been injured in a Sacramento trucking accident, you might be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. Usual and customary damages that trucking accident victims receive compensation for might be:
- Past and future medical bills.
- Past and future lost earnings.
- Any permanent disfigurement.
- Any permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering.
- Funeral and burial expenses in the event of a wrongful death.
Victims of Sacramento trucking accidents need to select the right attorney to represent them in their injury claims against a trucking company and its insurer. With our experience and record of successes, Penney & Associates is highly qualified in this area of the law. Contact us right away after any truck accident for your free consultation!