San Diego, California’s second largest city, is also the 8th largest city in the United States. It is home to more than 1.3 million people who get to enjoy its mild climate and 70 miles of beautiful beaches. It is also a great tourist town – it boasts attractions such as Sea World, Legoland, the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Those who love golf will be happy to know that this idyllic state has more 90 golf courses. As with most big cities in the United States, the population of San Diego is varied – there are whites, blacks, Native Americans, Asians and more.
The San Diego, CA economy depends mainly on submarine and ship building for the Ministry of Defense (the city has an excellent deep water port), tourism, international trade at the port, technology companies, and because it has such nice weather and great beaches, real estate. It is also a cultural hub – it’s home to the San Diego Museum of Art, the San Diego, the San Diego Museum of Man and many others. Given that it’s such a big city it has a fairly low crime rate – it ranks 9th safest city in the US. As you may imagine, the city has many good schools and colleges.
There are so many personal injury lawyers in San Diego, CA that it can be very hard to know which one is best. What makes it even harder is the fact that they all claim that they are the best at what they do. It remains up to you to do some research and find out the qualities of a good personal injury attorney. Here are some tips:
• Experience is very important; while personal injury lawyers usually take on a variety of cases, it is best that you find one who specializes in your kind of case. If you have been involved in a car accident, for instance, you will do best to find a car accident personal injury lawyer. If you will be using a law firm ask them to give you a lawyer who has experience in your kind of case.
• Lawyers who advertise blatantly are not always the best. If you go to a lawyer’s website and find that they are all about a sales speech it is best to avoid them – they are probably desperate for clients. In the same way, ambulance chasing lawyers are not the best either. A good lawyer is all about giving clients useful information such as what they should do immediately after an accident.
• You will need to tell your lawyer all the details of your accident including the embarrassing ones. Choose a lawyer with whom you can communicate freely.
• Don’t be shy about asking your lawyer for references – get 2 or 3 names and call to find out whether they would hire the same lawyer again.
• If a personal injury lawyer asks you for any kind of payment before they win your case they are a fraud. Personal lawyers are paid by contingency fees – they only get paid if they win you a compensation settlement.
What exactly will your San Diego, CA personal injury lawyer do for you?
There are two things that a personal injury lawyer can do for you: they can help you negotiate an out of court settlement or they can represent you during trial. It is important to first try to negotiate an out of court settlement compensation. It takes up less time and you are definitely assured of some money. if, however, you cannot settle out of court then you go to trial where a jury gets to decide whether or not you get compensated – there is a good chance that they could rule against you. That said, they could also rule that you get a much bigger settlement that you would have got if you settled out of court. It is up to you and your lawyer to evaluate the pros and cons of each and decide whether you should settle out of court or go to trial.
Can you represent yourself or must you always hire a lawyer after an accident?
There are some cases in which you can represent yourself. One example is if you have already been offered compensation up to a certain limit. For instance, if you get into a car accident and the other diver’s insurance is capped at $100,000 and they have already offered it to you there is no need to hire a lawyer because the insurance company has compensated you to the limit of the insurance policy. Another case when you can represent yourself is if you have been in a minor accident and have suffered just a few bruises and scrapes - you cannot get much compensation for those so it is best to follow up with the other driver’s insurance company yourself.
That said, you should acknowledge that insurance companies will usually do whatever they can either to delay compensation or reduce it. You may find that they are giving you the runaround. If you hire a personal attorney, however, they know how to get past the obstacles that the insurance company lays before them and they can get you the right amount of compensation in a short time.
Where can you find a San Diego, CA personal injury lawyer?
The best way to get a personal injury attorney is through references. If a lawyer is recommended to you it means that they have been vetted by someone else. If you don’t know anyone who can recommend a lawyer you can go online and try and find one there.
One personal injury form that comes highly recommended is Penney and Associates. They are highly experienced in all kinds of personal injury litigation so you can be sure that they will get you compensation. You can find out more by calling Penney and Associates at (800) 616-4529 or by sending us a message through our online contact form.