Motorcycle accidents occur frequently in Chico California. Some bikers are killed or injured due to alcohol related accidents or mechanical failure. However, most bikers are injured seriously or killed from other driver’s negligence. Bikers of today face more dangers on the road than a few years ago. This is mostly because of cell phone usage by drivers when driving, and increased traffic congestion. This means that as a biker you should be more cautious when riding in public, especially because California has congested freeways and surface streets. However, motorcycle usage is popular due to the good weather conditions most of the year. Highway 70 outside of Chico and Highway 162 in Oroville are prime areas for Chico motorcycle accidents.
According to a recent annual statistics report by the California Highway Patrol of Fatal and Injury Motor Vehicle Traffic Collisions, the following were noted:
- More than 430 passengers and drivers on scooters or motorbikes were either killed or injured in Oroville, Chico, and Biggs.
- Among all motor vehicle operators in California, motorbike users are at a greater risk of being killed or getting seriously injured during a traffic collision.
The California Highway Patrol have also reported that traffic crashes remain a public safety problem. Cars, bicycles, trucks, pedestrian, and motorcycle accidents have become common despite major improvements in road signs, increased vehicle safety features, traffic signs, pedestrian and bicycle corridors.
What you should do after a Chico Motorcycle Accident
- Call the police
- Remain at the scene of the accident
- Inform the insurance company
- Check on the condition of the other passengers
- Seek for medical attention
- Exchange contact information with the other driver
- Get the contact details of any witness at the scene of the crash
- If possible take photos of injuries and damage of the motorbike
- Consult a knowledgeable Chico personal injury attorney
In the days after a Chico Motorcycle Accident
After a Chico motorcycle accident, your personal injury lawyer will contact the negligent person’s insurance company to negotiate the settlement. The amount will be based on the costs incurred as a result of the crash.
Examine Product liability
In some Oroville motorcycle accident cases, a problem with your motorbike or the other party’s car could be the course of the accident. In such a case, you can file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer to get compensated.
In case you have lost a loved one in a Chico motorcycle accident, you can get compensated by filing a wrongful death lawsuit. A personal injury attorney can assist you in proving negligence of the other driver that resulted to the death of your loved one.
Damages you can claim after a motorcycle accident include:
- Lost wages
- Mental Anguish
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of consortium
In case you were injured, or you have lost a loved one in an Oroville motorcycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation. To find out more on what damages you may claim, consult Penney and Associates as soon as possible following an accident.