Life can change in an instant, especially for those who have experienced the unimaginable pain and trauma of burn injuries. For an individual from Roseville that instant happened in 2021 while attending an outdoor makeshift prom at a Lincoln, California, home. The victim, then 18, suffered third-degree burns on roughly half his body when someone threw gasoline on a firepit to keep the fire going, sparking uncontrollable flames. Weeks later, the teenage Roseville burn victim was released from the burn unit at UC Davis Medical Center.
The physical, emotional, and psychological toll of a burn accident can be overwhelming, affecting every aspect of a person’s life. In this blog post, we will explore the basic steps you need to take to pursue justice with the right Roseville burn injury lawyer in the event that the serious injury you suffered was the fault of someone else.
Understanding Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are some of the most devastating and painful traumas you can endure. According to the Cleveland Clinic, nearly half a million Americans seek emergency medical care for accidental burns every year. However, that figure does not include minor burn injuries treated in hospital clinics, private medical offices, or community health centers. According to the National Institutes of Health, fires and burns are the third most common cause of fatal incidents in the home, following falls and poisoning.
In total, the American Burn Association (ABA) reports residential fires alone claim approximately 2,700 lives every year with one civilian fire death occuring every 2 hours and 41 minutes. Broken down, the ABA statistics on burn center admissions look like this:
- Fire or flame burns (44%)
- Scalding injuries caused by wet or moist heat (33%)
- Direct contact with a hot source (9%)
- Electrical burns (4%)
- Chemical burns (3%)
The remaining 7% of admissions are caused by other, miscellaneous sources.
Burn injuries are typically classified into degrees:
- First-Degree Burns affect the top layer of skin, causing redness and pain.
- Second-Degree Burns damage both the top and second layers of skin, resulting in blisters and more intense pain.
- Third-Degree Burns affect all layers of the skin and may even damage underlying tissues and bones. These burns often require extensive medical treatment.
The Impact of Burn Injuries
The consequences of burn injuries extend far beyond physical pain:
- Physical Pain and Scarring: Burn victims often experience excruciating pain during their recovery. Scarring can be extensive and may require multiple surgeries and skin grafts.
- Emotional and Psychological Trauma: Coping with the trauma of a burn injury can be mentally challenging. Many survivors experience anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Financial Burden: The cost of medical treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing care can be astronomical. Burn victims may also face lost wages due to their injuries.
- Life-Altering Changes: Burns can lead to permanent disabilities, such as mobility limitations and disfigurement, which can profoundly impact a person’s quality of life.
The Role of a Roseville Burn Injury Lawyer
In many cases, burn injuries occur due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct. Seeking legal help from a reputable Roseville burn injury attorney is important for several reasons:
- Determining Liability: An experienced Roseville burn injury lawyer should investigate the incident to identify responsible parties, such as property owners, product manufacturers, or employers, who may be liable for your injuries.
- Maximizing Compensation: Burn injuries often entail substantial medical costs and long-term care. Your experienced attorney should fight for fair compensation to cover these expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating with Insurers: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging. A good lawyer has the experience to negotiate with insurers and prevent them from pressuring you into accepting inadequate settlements.
- Lawsuit Preparation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your experienced injury attorney should be prepared to take your case to court, advocating for your rights in front of a judge and jury.
Contact Fred Penney at Penney & Associates
If you have been injured in a burn accident, the road to recovery can be long. Seeking legal help gives you a chance to secure the compensation that you deserve and ensure any liable party is held responsible.
Since 1992, California Personal Injury Attorney Fred Penney and his team of experienced trial attorneys at Penney & Associates have helped clients recover millions of dollars in settlements and jury awards after suffering serious injuries caused by the negligence or criminal behavior of others. We are here to help you and your loved ones get the financial support you need to heal, rebuild, and provide for your family. Contact us for a free consultation.