Ranked as the best place to live in California in 2022, Roseville is a standout community located in Placer County. With a prominent railway center for both passengers and shipping, Roseville has emerged as a transportation hub just 25 minutes up I-80 from downtown Sacramento. The bustle also means trucks and 18-wheelers frequent the busy roads in and out of the city, making accidents involving these massive vehicles an unfortunate reality.
Being the victim of a semi-truck accident can be a traumatic experience with long-lasting consequences. Large truck incidents are, unfortunately, not uncommon. According to the latest figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSA), accidents with large trucks totaled more than 520,000 in 2021. Approximately a fifth of those caused injuries, while 4,444 had fatal outcomes.
In the event of a crash, you need the backing of an experienced Roseville 18-wheeler accident lawyer who can help you determine whether the truck driver and their employer can be held liable, and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. It’s always wise to look into the experience of a law firm in taking injury cases to trial.
Understanding the Impact of a Truck Accident
Accidents involving 18-wheelers often result in catastrophic injuries and property damage due to their size and weight. Victims can suffer severe injuries like spinal cord damage, traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, and more. The emotional and financial toll can be overwhelming, with medical bills piling up, lost wages, and long-term rehabilitation needs. These accidents can be caused by driver fatigue, speeding, improper maintenance, intoxication, and many other factors too numerous to mention.
Dense fog is, for instance, believed to have been the leading cause of one of the largest multi-car wrecks in the U.S.. The accident, which occurred just south of Los Angeles, California, in 2002 unfolded when a semi-truck crashed into the center divider, setting off a chain reaction that involved 216 vehicles and left 41 people injured (no deaths were, fortunately, reported). In fact, one of the worst fog crashes occurred on Highway 99 in Fresno, California, on Nov. 4, 2007. It involved 108 vehicles, including 18 big rigs, and left two people dead and 41 injured. The wreckage extended one mile from American Avenue to Clovis, CA., and is one of worst pileups ever in the central San Joaquin Valley.
So, how can a Roseville 18-wheeler accident lawyer help?
- Expert Legal Guidance: A seasoned trial lawyer with experience in handling 18-wheeler accident cases should understand the complexities of these accidents and the unique laws that govern them. They can provide expert guidance, ensuring you follow the right legal procedures.
- Investigation and Evidence Gathering: Good injury lawyers have the resources to investigate the accident thoroughly. This includes gathering evidence from the accident scene, obtaining police reports, interviewing witnesses, and collaborating with accident reconstruction specialists if needed.
- Determining Liability: Establishing liability in 18-wheeler accidents can be challenging. Your top injury lawyer will work diligently to identify responsible parties, such as the truck driver, the trucking company, or even the manufacturer in cases of equipment failure.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be daunting. Your experienced trial lawyer should handle all communications with insurers, ensuring they don’t pressure you into accepting a low settlement. Good lawyers will fight for your rights to fair compensation.
- Litigation if Necessary: If negotiations fail, your experienced lawyer should be prepared to take your case to court. They will build a strong case and advocate on your behalf in front of a judge and jury.
What About Seeking Compensation?
Your accident lawyer will help you pursue various forms of compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: Covering current and future medical bills related to the accident, including surgeries, therapy, and assistive devices.
- Lost Wages: Reimbursement for income lost due to time off work during your recovery, which may include future lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Property Damage: Repair or replacement costs for your vehicle and other damaged property.
- Wrongful Death: If you lost a loved one in the accident, an experienced lawyer should be able to help you pursue a wrongful death claim for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and emotional suffering.
- Punitive Damages: In cases of extreme negligence or misconduct, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party further.
Contact Fred Penney at Penney & Associates
If you or someone you know has been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in Roseville, California Personal Injury Attorney Fred Penney and his experienced team at Penney & Associates are here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us for a free consultation.